Helping Insecurely Attached Children
Caring for children with attachment issues presents very real challenges, not just for their parents and caregivers but also for the helping professionals who advise and support them. These children have experienced significant emotional and relational interruption during their early years and as a result often present as frustrated and inflexible with poor peer relationships and little resilience during times of adversity. The unique needs of these children call for an informed approach that balances the facilitation of emotional connection with the implementation of appropriate behaviour management interventions.
Informed by the Nurturing Attachments Training Resource and the House Model of Parenting this seminar will explore the practical application of effective attachment focused parenting interventions.
Specific topics Kim will discuss include:
- ‘The Dance of Attachment’- how to recognise both the hidden and the expressed needs of children with attachment difficulties.
- The concept of therapeutic parenting as a framework for meaningful change.
- The idea of mind-mindedness and how to increase this ability through the parental application of PACE (Playfulness, Acceptance, Curiosity and Empathy).
- How combining emotional connection with specific behavioural support approaches can both foster a sense of security and alter behaviour
- ‘Connection and Correction’ - A series of therapeutic parenting principles for parenting and supporting insecure children which connect with their emotional experience, build trust and security and promote healing.
This workshop will provide an authoritative set of parenting principles that can be implemented when working with parents and carers of children with attachment difficulties. It will benefit any professional involved in supporting or advising the parents and carers of at risk children, as well as those involved directly in the parenting and/or caregiving of these young people.
Kim Golding is a UK based Clinical Psychologist, author and international presenter. She is a leading voice internationally on helping children with attachment difficulties and their families/carers. She has authored several books including the 'Nurturing Attachments Training Resource' and the recently released 'Foundations for Attachment Training Resource'.
There is plenty of parking available onsite