Working With ADHD
Canadian Psychologist Dr Caroline Buzanko will help participants develop an in-depth understanding of the complexities of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) and present specific, detailed, and hands-on strategies to help children manage the emotional and behavioral challenges associated with ADHD. Current models of ADHD conceptualise it as a disorder of behavioural inhibition which impairs executive functioning, leading to difficulties with self-regulation, attention, distractibility and organising and planning behaviours. Individuals with ADHD can be very successful in life, however it is also the case that without appropriate identification and support, ADHD can have serious consequences, including school failure, family stress and disruption, depression, relationship problems, substance abuse, accidental injuries, and job failure. Given the substantial risk factors for children and young people with ADHD, developing effective interventions to promote educational and social success are critical. When managed effectively, ADHD can be an asset that supports individuals’ successes and can be celebrated.
Some of the key content areas Dr Buzanko will discuss include:
- A comprehensive and contemporary understanding of ADHD, the ADHD brain & Executive Functions.
- Deconstructing ADHD myths and misunderstandings.
- Identifying the key assets and strengths of ADHD and how to optimise them.
- Self-regulation & understanding stress behaviour vs. misbehaviour.
- Multi-modal interventions for ADHD & Executive Functioning Deficits. Opening a toolbox of practical strategies that can be individualised and used immediately to help kids with ADHD in all areas of functioning, including at home and school, and within interpersonal relationships.
This seminar will provide fresh knowledge and understanding, and a broad range of effective intervention and management ideas for anyone working with children with ADHD across the education, therapeutic, and support sectors. At the conclusion, participants will have a renewed perspective on ADHD and be better equipped to implement effective strategies to optimise success.
Caroline Buzanko, Ph.D., R. Psych. is a licensed Psychologist and clinical director of Koru Family Psychology in Alberta, Canada. She is an in-demand speaker, and a clinician who has worked with children with neuro-developmental disorders and their families for over 20 years, with a focus on maximising connection, confidence, learning success, and resilience. She presents with an energy and clarity that mean this webinar is a must for anyone working with children and young people with ADHD.
Parking passes are able to be collected from the Conference Centre reception.