Hey Little Warrior - Strengthening Young Children Against Anxiety
An Evening Seminar for Early Childhood Professionals
As much as the early learning environment can nurture and nourish all children, the very nature of it means that it can also hold many anxiety triggers, including unfamiliar people and situations, and separation from a loved one. As some of the most important adults in the day to day lives of young children, early childhood educators have a profound capacity to strengthen all young children against anxiety. This 3 hour evening workshop will support participants in developing their capacity to effectively respond to anxiety in young children and explore ways to capture the powerful role the early learning environment can play in strengthening all children against anxiety.
Some of the key information that will be discussed includes:
- different ways anxiety can manifest in the early learning environment;
- the neuroscience of anxiety - what it is and why it feels the way it does;
- how to manage challenging behaviours that are fuelled by anxiety;
- how to turn anxiety into an ally, and why this matters;
- the popular behaviour management techniques that can make anxiety worse, and what to do instead;
- how to build the connection between children and their important adults and why this is critical to managing anxiety;
- separation anxiety – what it is, why it happens, and how to manage it;
- the strategies that will ease anxiety and build confidence and courage;
- how to support parents in being change-makers;
- how to respond to anxiety in the moment to make way for calm and courage;
- how to respond to the 'big feelings' that come with anxiety in a way that will support healthy child development;
- how trauma can drive big feelings and big behaviour (fight or flight), how to respond, and the important role of educators in buffering children against the effects of trauma and supporting them towards healing;
- a lesson plan and practical activities to strengthen children against anxiety.
All participants will also receive a workbook to take away which summarises the workshop information
Karen Young has worked as a psychologist in private practice, and organisational and educational settings. She is a sought-after speaker, educator, and consultant, and works with parents, schools, government bodies, and child and adolescent focused organisations both in Australia and overseas. Karen is the founder of ‘Hey Sigmund’, an internationally popular online resource that provides contemporary, research driven information on anxiety & the neurodevelopment of children. She has written four books, including the bestselling ‘Hey Warrior’ & 'Hey Awesome', which creatively assist children to understand and manage anxiety.
We are located at 100 Ascot Avenue, Remuera (Auckland)
If travelling from the motorway use the Greenlane exit
Enter the grounds through Gate 3 on Ascot Avenue
Once through Gate 3, you'll drive along the Avenue of Palms into the main carpark which runs adjacent to the Southern Motorway
Parking is free for Ellerslie Event Centre guests (otherwise it is pay & display)
Please note there is NO VEHICULAR THROUGH ROAD from Mitchelson Street (Gate 5). Access through Gate 5 is for pedestrians only
The location of our room will be signposted from the lobby.